Friday, October 31, 2014

Cecily's 6th Birthday

 Birthday celebrations are one of those things that rely almost entirely on me.  Other family members pitch in a lot to make it happen, but especially the cooking depends upon the head cook, as we usually try to make something special, that we wouldn't ordinarily have.  This year we settled on coffee cake for breakfast, but this particular week was an especially bad one and Cecily's birthday came at the climactic end of it.  When we woke up that morning, I tried several times to get going on that cake, but came to realize that I just couldn't do it, for once.  Lots of times, I just need to push through and do it even though I don't feel like I can, but this wasn't one of those times.  I took some time to think it over and I knew that even though I would feel disappointed, Cecily would not feel disappointed if we went and got doughnuts and yogurt and ate at the park.  So we did.  Does she look disappointed?  I'm thankful for such options on such days.  I had to remember the goal of a birthday celebration in the first place and get over my own ideals about how I wanted it to look.  It's the spirit of fun, enjoyment and celebration of the individual who is being recognized and thankfulness to God that matter.  That can be conveyed in so many different ways.  I'm thankful this year that the Lord helped me not be selfish and feel upset about the inability to make a coffeecake and have a homemade birthday breakfast for my girl, but rather to focus on a celebratory attitude for her sake and enjoy a good thing with her instead.  A slumped over, discouraged mama doesn't exactly speak, "This is about you and about thanking God for you and the good work he's doing in your life."

Thank you Lord for helping me not to do that this time and for forgiving me for the many times in the past where I couldn't resist the temptation.

 This was a beautiful morning to be outside, and a big treat and she was delighted. 
 We let the kids run off a little energy at the playground before we went home.  (Truth be told, we didn't go directly home, we ran to Target to get a gift, because none of my plan-ahead plans had worked out, including a gift.)

 Happy Birthday girl.
 Also thankfully, we had planned an easy dinner of turkey burgers and frozen fries.  Amelia and I did manage to get a birthday cake made in the afternoon, which you will see shortly.
 Time for gifts.  Lousy picture quality is due to being in the basement at night, with inadequate light.
 Nail polish!
 The bag had some snacks in it that the boys picked out for her.  She is holding some bunny cookies that they found.
 Her own wallet, from Grammy and Papa.
 Millie helped her check out all of the compartments and tell her what they were for.  ("This one's for your debit card....")
 We bought Cecily Spirograph (last minute) and she also got a Make A Plate from my parents.  Both of those gave her some new artistic things to work on.
 Amelia wrapped her stick horse up in a blanket and gave it to Cecily.  I let her because it was generous of her and I knew Cecily would love it.
 The Oreo Cake.


Something worthwhile to celebrate: God's gift of life to this girl.  She's really so easy to please and such a treasure to me.  Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Julie,
That was such a big decision for you and Such a wonderful decision you made. It is so hard for us to step back a bit but then when we lean on the Lord and look are the real reason for things, the decision is so much easier. It sure looks successful to me.

Precious Cecily,
Happy Birthday. Goodness, it looks like you had so much fun and so many surprises. That doughnut looked amazingly good, and a fun day at the park with your brothers and sisters, That looked amazing too.

An Oreo cake - wow you have such a creative mom and sister.

I wish for you a year filled with learning new things and may it all be filled with joy.

To a family I love dearly, have a happy, unencumbered season of harvest. Take care of yourself and your baby, Julie. You are so loved.

Smiles and hugs, Kathy

Jennie and Julie said...

It seems you were a bit hard on yourself, but I love that you gave the credit to God and came out victorious in the end. Yes, she is easy to please, and I love that she is six now and growing up so well. Thanks for posting the photos of our dear little Cecily.