Friday, July 15, 2011


Peter got a week off from preaching, so we took the opportunity to go camping for a night. The original plan was for the boys to go up for a night in a tent and I'd stay home with the little ones, maybe visiting for a couple of hours during the day. Ultimately, we rented a rustic cabin and we all stayed overnight together. The boys did leave ahead of me and the littles. They left in the morning, with a packed lunch, and were able to fish for several hours. They reeled in some nice sized fish.

Then they checked in and drove over to the cabin. They took these pictures just before I arrived with girls and baby.

They are very happy to be camping!

First thing to do was to swim, of course.

Everyone was pretty excited about their goggles.

Life jackets are helpful.

Cal got cold and decided to dig awhile.

Peter and I just waded in the shallow end and oversaw all the wet fun.

I like this one. I like him a whole, whole lot. (Peter, that is) :)

"Hi Buddy!"

I like 'lijah too. He did really great out there.

We decided to swing for awhile to dry off before getting into the car to drive over to the cabin.

We really like Calvin's lobster swim trunks.

Showing me "no hands."

For supper, we put together packets of ground beef, potatoes, carrots and onions wrapped in foil. We do this every time we go camping.

While we were waiting for dinner to cook, William go out his measuring tape. Right. What for?

Samuel found a baby Ringnecked Snake...

...that they wanted to measure.

Here's a few shots of the inside of the cabin. It's pretty basic, as it is a rustic cabin.

There is a table to the left of this picture. There is an outhouse to the back of the cabin, as there is no running water here. But there are a lot of advantages to this over a tent.

Dinner's ready, served with ketchup. It was actually very good. Peter did an amazing job making sure that they got cooked just right in the coals of the fire.

Very interested in the fire, of course.

Next is s'mores.

Roasting marshmallows...and toes.

Here comes more sticks for the fire.

"Is it done yet?"

Some people just like to catch their marshmallows on they can blow them out...over their sister's head.

First s'more. Not bad.

Ha. This is a funny face for Benny.

Sun is setting now. I LOVE being out here.

After-dark visitor.

Found on the side of the cabin the next morning. One of the kids took this picture. They loved the colors on this moth.

After breakfast, the boys went to some nearby lakes to do some more fishing. I let Elijah get a good, long nap in the cabin while the girls and I played outside and took some short walks nearby.

Millie is excited to hold the moth herself.

After some lunch, we all went over to the lake to have a last swim and ride in a boat.

A turn for Benjamin and Cecily.

Next we headed home to get me there in time for a dentist's appointment. It was short, but so nice. Short is good at this phase. We're grateful for this beautiful park that is close enough to go up there and enjoy in small spaces of time.

1 comment:

Jennie and Julie said...

Wow, such a lot of good pictures. We can enjoy your trip right along with you. I can feel the water and smell the smoke! Good job. Love Mom