Monday, August 25, 2008

CANNING PEACHES

Well, I didn't think I was going to break out the canner this year, but I got some wonderful peaches for a good price at the farmer's market and so we did some canning after all. Seeing them all completed and ready to be set aside to enjoy this winter is very rewarding. I had some helpers with the canning for the first time. I wasn't sure about having them in the kitchen with the many boiling fluids on the stove, but it turned out they did great and were a big help. Sam put whole peaches into a pot of boiling water, timed them for about 30 seconds and then transferred them to the sink full of cold water. William then removed them from there after some brief cooling and peeled them for me. That freed me up to do just the halving and loading into jars. Very helpful. It was just like having an extra adult helping me. When they were done they had an apple break.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The peaches look wonderful! They will taste extra good after all the help you received...Sam and Will did a great job, and will greatly appreciate the work it takes to put them in the jars to enjoy! I loved seeing these home-made photos...
Mom