Friday, November 13, 2009

WHAT'S COOKING

Here's a few things produced in the kitchen in the last few weeks.This is a pumpkin casserole roasted in it's own shell. I thought it sounded interesting, so we gave it a try. Above, it is part way through the cooking process.
Here it is all done. We weren't terribly impressed. I guess we're just used to pumpkin being sweetened and spiced up. This is a savory dish with onion and cream. It was really fun to try though.
I must have been feeling pumpkin-inspired this year. I put together this fun pumpkin cake for a church dinner a couple of weeks ago.
It's really two bundt cakes with a cupcake stem. It took quite a lot of time, but it was a
such a fun thing to try and for the kids to enjoy.
I got a bone-in pork roast for an incredible price, but had no idea what to do with it! I found this recipe for Autumn Pork Roast. It used everything I had on hand, including some butternut squash and fresh sage from the garden, so good or bad, it was going to be tried. Once I got it all arranged in the pan, I was surprised to see how pretty it looked. It turned out quite well, with lots to feed our large family.
Last Friday, I got busy trying out some different pizza combinations. The one at the top was a recommendation from a restaurant. I think it had canadian bacon, chopped tomato, feta cheese and pesto dots with some mozzarella and no sauce. The one below is a simple pesto pizza with roma tomatoes and mozz.
This one we've had before, it has three cheeses, including gorgonzola, with garlic slices and kalamata olives. My kids actually love this one.
Cooking is so much fun. And cooking with the seasons keeps it interesting.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Your post makes me hungry.:) Cooking is a lot of fun. I like the cake, especially. Very cute!