Monday, January 5, 2009

CHRISTMAS, PART I

Oh my! This one's a marathon. And I didn't even finish. I'm wiped out from all of this downloading so I'll finish the rest tomorrow. Christmas was really fun this year. I wanted those of you who sent us packages to be able to see how much the kids liked the gifts.
Peter handed out the presents to everyone before we began the opening.
Once all the packages were distributed, I took a picture of each child with his/her pile.












Peter's parents sent a lot of little things so we started opening theirs on Christmas Eve. Amelia got some books.


And puzzles


Will got a very nice all-wood game called Quartile. He's played it now several times and really likes it. It uses math skills.


Ben got a horse game and a puzzle.

Sam got a sketch pad with a nice large set of colored pencils.


Calvin got a sticker play scene. It didn't take him long to start.

Back to Christmas morning...Amelia got many board books from us.

Calvin is the only one in the family that started telling us what he wanted for Christmas this year. About a week before Christmas he started informing us that he would be getting a dump truck and a fire engine. Hmm. One week before Christmas is a little late to be giving requests. Lucky for him, God had arranged for a dump truck from Grammy and Papa (my parents) and Benjamin had picked out a fire engine to give to him. It's very sweet to see God gratify a 3 year olds desires. We were so glad that Christmas was special for him.


Grammy and Papa had arranged for a pogo stick to come for Benny.


More from Grandpa Jerry and Grandma Betty, markers and a hidden picture/find it book.


Sam got a very nice Children's Atlas.


Grammy and Papa's gift to Millie was this alphabet zoo bus. Hours of fun and great for pulling.


Peter's sister, Leslie, sent a couple of rattle-y baby toys for Cecily. :-)


Sam's gift from Grammy and Papa: A motor to use with his fischertechnik engineering set. So much more fun to build if you can make it motorized! Doesn't he look pleased? He's been wanting that since he got the set last Christmas.


Aunt Leslie and Uncle John sent some knight figurines for the little guys. (The older boys have some already).


This was Calvin's book from us. We thought it was funny that when he opened it he said, "Oh, it's Richard Scarry!"

This funny look on his face is actually glee. Will's book was Leepike Ridge, by N.D. Wilson.


Grandma Betty picked out a tea set for Millie. So cute.


She knew just what to do with it.

I didn't take very good pictures of Peter, but he was very happy with his gifts. This one is basement tapes from R.C. Sproul Jr.'s ministry.

And of course, books. If all he got was books, that'd be alright with him. My sister, JoAnn, drew his name in our family gift exchange and she got him 3 books that were on his list. I think this one was The Bondage and Liberation of the Will by John Calvin.


Watching others open gifts.

A little construction set from Grandma Betty.


We saved the best for last. The boys all got a rifle (toy for the little guys and BB air gun for the older boys) for their gift from us. Amelia's gift from us was the doll bed and Peter's sister got her a really nice handmade doll from Germany, which was her big gift to open at the end.


Taking the packaging off of his gun.

Trying it out. It's only about twice as long as he is tall!


Millie with her gift!


I was so excited about this doll!








In the bed with her other baby from Grandma Bethel.


Amelia was fascinated by the eyes that opened and closed.


Watching Amelia use her dolls and doll beds was a highlight for me this year. This is really our first year with a little girl and we all immensely enjoyed watching her participate in everything and get her girl toys and use them. So sweet.


Oh, and the doll came with a carrier. That was very cute too.

Hurray for girl toys!!


I, myself, got some Pampered Chef items that I wanted, some lotion and some audio series from Canon Press (The Pleasant Home, A Bible Study for Young Mothers and Mothers and Daughters, Growing Into Wise Women Together)(by Nancy Wilson). But my favorite gift of 2008 was definitely Cecily Mae. I was feeling grateful for her all day. Her Christmas gift was some headbands and I thought they looked pretty cute on her!


Our advent season was very joyful and our celebration was very much filled with awareness of the wonder of His coming. Praise God for the gift of His Son. As I hold Cecily, I can more tangibly feel the awe of our eternal and all-powerful God becoming a baby. One feels even more affection for He, who in His awesome strength, became feeble and helpless and therefore able to sympathize with our lowly estate.
From the Christmas hymn by Martin Luther, From Heaven Above to Earth I Come:
"Welcome to earth, Thou noble Guest,
Through Whom the sinful world is blest!
Thou com'st to share my misery,
What thanks shall I return to Thee?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew, now that was a post to end all posts. Thank you. I felt right there with each child in the anticipation and opening of each gift, A joyous celebration of an awesome Gift from our Creator - Jesus. You embraced that moment in history so well.

May God richly bless you one and all this week.

From my heart to you,
Kathy
Bend, OR

Lora said...

Hi Julie!! I have enjoyed reading your blog now for the past month or so. Ever since your mom shared it with me. I just started one of my own as well a couple of days ago. Hopefully, I can keep up with it! It's so much fun to keep in touch this way and to see how eachother's families are growing. :)

Love
Lora